In the midst of the prestigious wooded North Shore of Long Island bordering the southern edge of Long Island Sound lies the historic hamlet of Miller Place. It is located 5 miles east of the harbor of Port Jefferson. The settlement commenced in 1671 by Andrew Miller, son of John Miller, one of the first East Hampton settlers. The community has grown from the Revolutionary War days. In 1874, it consisted of 35 houses. The Miller Place historical district is listed in the National Register of Historical Places and the first historical district to have been designated as such by the Town of Brookhaven. More than two dozen charming 18th and 19th century houses border a half mile stretch of North Country Road in the heart of the old hamlet. Some of the notable ones are:
William Miller House (1720) – acquired by Historical Society
Woodhull House (1740) – built by patriot John Woodhull and the birthplace of Caleb Woodhull, Mayor of New York, from 1848-50
Ebenezer Miller House (1760)- now Miller Place Ark (Bed & Breakfast) on N/S North Country Road near the Pond
Academy (1834) – now used as a library
Timothy Miller House (1790)
Samuel Hopkins House (1816) – on Pipe Stave Hollow Road, also a landmark
As North Country Road goes east, it bends toward the right around the Pond. In 1902, the roadway led into the Pond, so that farmers could water their stock. There was also a little dock. Willows have stood at the west end as long as anyone can remember. In 1930, there were two ways to drive in and out, and their was a low stone embankment with a raised walk around it, which still gave it a very rural appearance.
About 1904, two telephone companies served the village. In 1937, the school was built opposite the Pond. Men from Miller Place served in the Mount Sinai Fire Dept and depended on it for protection until 1953, when the village acquired its own firehouse and equipment.
Railroads first came to Long Island in 1836 and by 1841 the Long Island Railroad extended from Brooklyn to Suffolk Station, with an extension to Greenport added three years later. The first train came to Port Jefferson in November 1873. Despite many difficulties, tracks were laid to Miller Place by the end of 1893 and on June 27, 1895, service was opened to Wading River with two passenger trains and one freight a day. Business was minimal. The station was near the intersection of Sylvan Avenue and Echo Avenue, but the first building burned in the early 1930's. The station agent lived in a little house close by. Because of little business, the trains ended their runs at Port Jefferson in 1928. By 1938, permission was granted to abandon the whole eastern end of the line, although the tracks were not taken up for many years. Now all the remains of the railroad here is the right of way now used by the Long Island Lighting Company.
Miller Place School District is excellent. The area continues to grow commercially (Route 25A contains most of the businesses, but there are also small, attractive business and professional areas on North Country Road and Echo Avenue.) and residentially, with beautiful new homes being constructed on large acreage homesites. It remains very quaint as planners are careful to keep landscape and architecture harmonious with the natural surrounding beauty.
On Echo Avenue is the large, new Post Office. The post office originated in a small, historic building on North Country Road, and moved to a larger, modern building (across from its present location), which in time also outgrew. Now the new Post Office boasts a convenient, up-to-date facility with plenty of parking.
The close proximity to Long Island Sound provides numerous recreational activities, such as fishing, boating and swimming at its beautiful beaches.
Miller Place is one of the four North Shore towns comprising the Chamber of Commerce , known as the Council of Dedicated Merchants (CDM). The members strive to promote local business in the four participating towns. They cooperate enthusiastically with many events, including a May Fest and a Harbor Fest in September at Cedar Beach, the local Brookhaven Town beach.